Energy on the go—one that is sustainable and can power up all your small, low-power tech and appliances—may have seemed like a dream. Not anymore, though; solar energy is the most impressive advancement, one that is good for self and for the environment. Best of all, solar energy now comes in a portable form.
Introducing A Marvelous Energy Source: 200 Watt Solar Panel:
What’s more amazing than power on the move that eliminates the use of fuel and other resources that deteriorate the environment? A 200W solar panel is more impressive than it sounds. You can run your laptop, coffee maker, and even a low-power microwave in your RV or at camp. You start with a price point that is higher than your average fuel-powered generator. Then, you then save a ton of money in the long run. After all, all you need to charge your solar panel is the abundantly available sunlight!
Additionally, solar panels are now easily available. Though the technology is not new, its availability—keeping the price and quality in check—was a challenge in the past years. Now, you can easily order a high-quality, portable 200 Watt solar panel online.
However, before you purchase one, you must go through the details of any solar panel. It is imperative that you check the number of appliances it can power at once (and the power limit of each appliance). Also, a good-know how of using a solar panel, especially in terms of charging and optimal usage, is a must.
Solar Panels Vs. Other Power Stations:
Since gas-powered generators are becoming obsolete, we’ll compare solar panels with the other popular option for portable power sources. It is also necessary to study why you should consider the former when browsing online for a portable power source.
Off-grid power is tricky: you need sufficient energy to power basic devices and appliances but don’t want the “bulk” factor. As our daily lives—even if you’re talking about life on the RV or a long camping trip—involve the use of multiple electronic devices, the need for more power increases.
Generators are always bulky; even the smallest have a weight you don’t want to carry on a camping trip. Too small, and you don’t get enough power to charge heavier appliances. Then, you’ve got power stations—the battery-operated kind. These come close to solar panels, but you can’t go long without charging one (considering you need a compact kind).
Ultimately, you need a direct power source to charge your power station. And it is a feat that’s tricky if you’re traveling through or setting camp at remote locations.
Solar panels are so much more convenient compared to the options mentioned above. Take into account the size and the ease of charging of a portable 200 Watt solar panel, and you’ve got yourself a clear winner.
What To Look For In A Portable 200 Watt Solar Panel:
No two portable solar panels are alike, not even if they both comprise 200 Watt energy capacity and use. When browsing solar panels, there are several factors you need to consider. All the features affect the way you use your portable solar panel, so take our pick wisely.
The first factor to consider is the type of solar cell encased in the panel. Solar panels typically come in three types, namely monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and thin-film solar panels (we’ll discuss this further). Each type of solar panel serves a different purpose with respect to capacity and need. You’ll find several brands when shopping for solar panels online. Therefore, look for a manufacturer with great reviews and make sure that their solar panels check all the boxes for your ideal energy source.
When it comes to a portable 200 Watt solar panel, you’re likely going to use it for camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities, or use it for your RV. Thus, look for a solar panel that is lightweight enough to be carried on treks. The “portability” factor differs in small solar pales. For example, you’ll find suitcase-style panels that fold in half and have a handle for carrying. These are bulky but waterproof. Then there are panels that you can put inside a backpack—that may not necessarily be waterproof but can be protected inside a bag.
Choosing Your Portable Solar Panel Type:
As mentioned before, there are three types of solar panels:
- – Monocrystalline Solar Panels
A solar panel that consists of monocrystalline solar cells has silicon crystals in each module. Contrary to the simplicity the name suggests, these solar calls are actually incredibly efficient at harnessing solar energy. Typically featuring a black color and glass protection, monocrystalline solar panels are more efficient than other types of solar panels—and thus cost you a bit more. On average, these panels have about 24.5% efficiency.
- – Polycrystalline Solar Panels
Polycrystalline solar panels have slightly lower efficiency due to a limited degree of freedom for the many electron crystals in polycrystalline panels. Typically blue-ish in color, polycrystalline solar panels are less costly than monocrystalline solar panels 200 watt solar panel. The effectiveness of these panels is between 13-16%.
- – Thin Film Solar Panels
Thin film solar panels are different from both monocrystalline and polycrystalline solar panels in one key aspect: these feature several materials, majorly cadmium telluride (CdTe). CdTe is used to capture sunlight. For protection from damage, the solar panels also have a glass layer. Also, unlike mono and polycrystalline solar panels, these consist of non-crystalline silicon. And finally, thin film solar panels have a shorter lifespan compared to mono and polycrystalline solar cells.
- Using A Portable 200 Watt Solar Panel
- Portable solar panels are constructed using photovoltaic cells. These cells capture and convert sunlight (solar power) into electricity. You can attach your portable solar panel to a battery that stores that electric power, which works pretty much like a traditional source of portable power…only with a renewable energy source.
- The key to using a portable solar panel correctly is to know how much power you’re consuming. Since you need solar power to charge your panel, you can continuously charge it outside—like by hoisting it up on the roof of an RV or a camping hut. Your solar panel can be linked to a power system to juice up your devices and appliances (provided they meet the requirements of a 200 Watt solar panel capacity.
- It is usually ideal to first charge batteries using your solar panels and then power up electronics. This ensures that there is a fluid, consistent supply of power to your devices and appliances.
- As long as you have daylight and an ample supply of solar power, you don’t rely on active sources of power via an outlet or worry about the battery running out. Of course, using a solar battery at night time comes with the risk of the juice running out. However, remember that a 200 Watt solar panel is intended for minimal, outdoor use to power smaller devices, not larger appliances inside the home. With ready access to sunlight during the day, your compact solar panel will have filled up enough power in the attached system to get you through the night.
- Benefits Of A Portable 200 Watt Solar Panel
- Solar power is increasingly gaining popularity due to many reasons. Add portability to the mix, and you’ll find many advantages of using solar energy to power your laptop, juicer, microwave, and other tech.
- Versatile Renewable Energy
- The most noteworthy advantage of a portable 200 Watt solar panel is renewable energy. Harnessing the energy the sun emits, solar panels are not limited to any location. As long as you have access to direct sunlight, you’re good to go.
- The beauty of solar panels is not only that these rely on nature but also that the panels use nature to power up any man-made piece of tech. Depending on how much power your solar panel can capture and how much of that power the attached system can store, you can juice up a range of devices and appliances. Your portable 200 Watt solar panel will work with a portable solar generator. Since you don’t have solar power available 24 hours a day, your panel will charge the solar generator and provide backup power when needed.
- Since we’re talking about a portable solar panel here, you can charge your phone or laptop (or use active power on your laptop). Heat up food in a small microwave on the go or make or morning smoothie in the blender. Stay electronically active and connected to the outside world no matter where you are, as long as you have sunlight.
- On the subject of renewable energy, the use of solar panels is an ethical move—whether we’re talking about using them at a certain location or on the move. Since we are facing a possible depletion of non-renewable energy sources and the environmental hazards of using continuously are many, it is better to opt for solar power use as much as you can!
- Robust & Weather-Proof
- A typical portable 200 Watt solar panel is great for outdoor use. What this means is that you don’t have to worry about water damage. However, given that portable solar panels also feature limited features to reduce costs and improve compactness, check to see if your solar panel is waterproof, not just water-resistant.
- Small, foldable solar panels are usually only water-resistant. This is not a problem, since you don’t face difficulty in mounting and dismounting it. However, if you want a solar panel that you can consistently mount on your home or vehicle, look for a waterproof one.
- You can also purchase waterproof panels and accessories for your solar panels—preferably from the same brand of your solar panels. This way, you can leave your solar panel outside even in heavy rain. Some portable solar panels also feature charge controllers that offer overcharge protection. Thus, you can use your portable solar panel like a traditional one.
- High-quality solar panels are robust, and you can get add-ons like motioned above to further ensure integrity. In fact, it is best that you get accessories such as a charge controller to protect your solar power system from overvoltage, impaired battery performance, and damage.
- Low Maintainance & Long Term Cost Savings
- Solar panels require minimal maintenance. For the larger solar panels, it’s a one-time installation, and then you are set. For the portable kind, all you need to do is order yours, receive it, and start using it. A little cleanup now and then is necessary to help prevent obstruction of light. Other than that, your solar panels do not require a lot of care.
- You can get warranty deals on your portable 200 Watt solar panel (the duration depends on what manufacturer you choose. Therefore, you can rest easy knowing that these panels are serviced for optimal performance.
- In addition to low maintenance, solar panels also provide the ease of low energy bills. Whether we’re talking about your electric bill, fuel for the generator, or the cost of replacing the battery in a traditional portable power system, solar energy is much more cost-efficient in the long run compared to all other power sources.
- However, know that the size of your solar panel plays a significant role in how much sustainable, free energy you use, capture, store, and use. It goes without saying that larger panels capture more solar energy, giving you plenty for active use and backup power. A small panel surface area, like that you will find in a portable 200 Watt solar panel, provides limited power. However, since portable solar panels are not intended for heavier use, you can rely on one for your trips. About website
- Drawbacks To Look Out For
- No technology is without drawbacks, and a portable 200 Watt solar panel is o exception to the rule. Solar panels are undoubtedly one of the best investments you will make. But, you have to look out for and be ready for their limitations. These include:
- – No sunlight, no power: Solar panels have a number of driving factors, including dependability on sunlight as the main source of energy. Of course, you can’t get sunlight all the time. Add in unfavorable weather conditions—i.e., cloudy, rainy, stormy weather—and solar panels will not function. If you live in or are traveling in a region with lots of sunlight for the most part, then you can rely on solar power.
- – May be bulky: Although portable solar panels do not typically pose this problem, you may find yourself liking one that is bulkier than other solar panels. 200 Watt solar panels are larger than 100 Watt ones. And though foldable, they may still take up a bit of space. The suitcase-style portable panel is an extra bit of belonging you carry.
- – An extra weight: Of course, if your portable solar panel is sizeable, it may also be weighty. For traveling in your RV or van, or car, this won’t be much of an issue. But if we’re talking about taking your solar panel hiking or camping with a long trek, you need to steel yourself for carrying some extra weight.
- – Extra protection required: If your solar panels are water-resistant but not waterproof, then you need a protective casing. Another feature, as discussed before, is the charge controller, which is vital to avoid damage to the battery. These added features—though very beneficial and even necessary—do add to the total cost of buying a portable solar panel.
- Concluding The Guide…
- Solar energy is the most abundant and renewable source of energy in our world. Best of all, solar panels give us renewable energy with zero emissions of greenhouse gases.
- Out and about on your trips, you may not always have access to grid power. Portable power stations are the perfect solution for staying electronically active. And when it comes to portable electricity, choosing solar power is an effective, ethical, and cost-efficient move. For hiking, camping, and other related activities, a compact and portable 200 Watt solar panel makes a great companion. Versatile, low-maintenance, weather-proof, and overall reliable—your portable solar panel is a great piece of technology.
- Remember, portable solar panels are not cheap. A panel is a great investment, as you save money in the long run. However, given the significant expense, do your research when purchasing a portable solar panel. The better quality and longevity you get, the more peace of mind your portable solar power source can offer you!